Combining optimum function with beautiful aesthetics, dental implants create confident smiles for life in Catford, Lewisham & South East London.
If you’re considering dental implants in Catford, Lewisham or South East London, the Penerley Road Dental Practice will be delighted to invite you to an implant consultation. Dental implants are quite simply the most lifelike and long-term solution to missing teeth. High-tech yet minimally invasive, a dental implant is a synthetic post that mimics the function of a natural tooth root. Made from titanium, which is well tolerated by the body, dental implants encourage the jawbone to grow around them, creating a strong foundation for a prosthetic tooth restoration. This will be custom-engineered to suit your exact requirements, and permanently attached to your dental implant.
Why invest in dental implants?
- Implants are like natural teeth – implant wearers attest that they can’t notice any difference in feeling or function between their implants and their natural teeth.
- Implants can last a lifetime – unlike other dental fittings, if implants are correctly taken care of, they will last the rest of your life, with no further surgery, replacements or adjustments required.
- Implants restore quality of life – in doing away with the embarrassment associated with unsightly gaps or unpredictable dentures, implants allow you to eat, talk and smile with complete confidence.
- Implants are anti-ageing – by filling gaps and physically supporting your jaw, implants prevent teeth from shifting, and jaw shrinkage, which in turn prevents the facial sagging we associate with old age.
- Implants can be used with dentures – supporting your dentures with implants fixes them permanently in place, preventing slippage and the need for regular re-adjustments.
If you are an adult with healthy teeth and gums, it is highly likely you will be a suitable candidate for dental implants. There is no upper age limit, so you are never too old to consider dental implants. However, dental implants are not recommended for anyone whose jawbone is still growing.
Yes, if your dentist agrees that your problems can be rectified and you commit to the treatments required to get your teeth and gums in the right condition for dental implants. This could involve orthodontics, extractions, bone regeneration or periodontal treatment, as well as changing lifestyle habits, such as giving up smoking, reducing your alcohol intake and eating a healthier diet. You’ll also need to commit to a robust oral hygiene routine, working in partnership with your dentist and hygienist.
Total treatment times vary from as little as six weeks to around six months – more if treatment such as bone grafting is required. The actual implant procedure can take as little as 30 minutes for a single implant to several hours for more complex cases.
No – the majority of implant patients remark on how little discomfort they experienced during treatment. Routine implant cases can be carried out using local anaesthetic. For more complex cases, conscious sedation might be recommended, combining anaesthetic, analgesic and sedation to put you into a state of deep relaxation. Conscious sedation also induces an amnesiac effect, so you’ll have little or no memory of the procedure.
You can expect to experience minor swelling and possible bruising straight after the procedure and you’ll be advised on how to manage this. Healing is usually fast following implant surgery, with stitches removable after around 10 days. Your dentist will closely monitor your progress after implant surgery and you’ll be given a comprehensive aftercare plan on managing the recovery process.
It really depends on the number of implants being placed and the complexity of your case. A very straightforward implant procedure would only require a day or two off work.
“I highly recommend this dental practice. I had previously had a very bad experience and service from another dental practice which resulted in me having a great fear and no trust in dentists. Then I reached a point after breaking a couple of teeth that I needed to visit a dentist. They are wonderful here.”